Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hail Storm






Right after I finished mowing the lawn and L&L woke up from their naps on Monday, a gigantic hail storm hit Huntington. We were worried that it was going to puncture the new water slide that I'd managed to set up hours before. The kids stared out the window and said, "Now we're not going to be able to go outside for 10 years!" Okay, so they were a bit off, but the damage was pretty severe. Leaves were ripped off trees all through town, our garden was decimated, and buckets of water poured off of the house, with pools of water streaming down the road and pooling in the front yard. If I get a chance, I'll try to take a picture of the aftermath on our garden. It's pretty sad. I had a hard time picked all the produce on Tuesday and seeing so much destroyed. I didn't realize that we had so many pumpkins, cucumbers, and cantaloup though. They've all been exposed so that we can see them now. Hundred of tomatoes were knocked off of their vines, the beans are shredded, the peas almost done. The carrots are flattened, the potato plants the same. The onions and peppers look like someone took a bb gun to them. We will salvage what we can.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry your garden was destroyed - I hope you can still save a lot, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother nature still is all powerful isn't it. I guess sometimes we think we are in control but find out we aren't. Sorry about all of your garden and flowers.

    ReplyDelete