Monday, September 13, 2010

Hornet and Dragonfly

I took this picture of a hornet and dragonfly today in some fields about a half of a mile from our home. It was right after I picked up Koria and Kimball from preschool, so the five of us set out on a quick drive so that I could get my picture of the day.
When we returned from the drive, K&K wanted to play outside and I agreed since the weather has been great the last few days. I pointed out a hornet resting underneath the car and made sure that the kids would not get near it or touch, explaining what would happen if they did.
I really shouldn't be shocked. My advice these days goes in one ear and .... well, maybe it never even enters at all. About a half an hour later, Kimball and Koria came running into the house, screaming that Kimball had been "bitting by one of those bugs you told us to stay away from!" I couldn't see a stinger, so I cleaned up the kids from all the dirt and grime they'd found outside with a bath, iced the swelling finger, and gave Kimball a good dose of Benadryl. Before I knew it, he'd fallen asleep with an icepack on his hand while sitting up at the table, waiting for dinner.
He's doing great now. We distracted them with family home evening and peach cobbler with icecream to follow. Now I just hope they start to listen. At least in one ear.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Kimball. I was bitten last year at the Schiess reunion and it really really hurt. Mom told me to put a penny on it and that would help - I tried, but it still hurt. I hope Kimball is doing better today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really hurts doesn't it Kimball.. A few years ago I was alone at the cabin and I was watering the little pine trees by the road and watered a hornets nest by mistake. Boy were they made. The stung me 3 times on the face. I hurried and took some benedryl and it stopped it from swelling up as bad as it could have. Glad I have a phone now.

    ReplyDelete