Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Garden Update/Lanterns

Our tomato plants are doing well this year. I agree with Scott in the fact that I've spent more time in the garden this year than any other year past. It's been great to work hard in the yard, I must say. Here's a look at some of the romas ...


We have a few hooks that we put up on our front porch several years ago to hang planted baskets from, but that didn't work out so well. It's too hot here in the Eastern Utah desert for the hanging flowers to survive while we take off to visit family during the summer months. I've had an idea in mind for a couple of years to buy some lanterns and hang them from the hooks instead, so with some birthday money (thanks to the parents ...) I found a great buy (I love clearance) on some black lanterns from Shopko and Jared helped me hang them up this past weekend.
Aren't the hollyhocks doing great Mom? Thanks for the seeds. They make a great addition to our front yard. I've had many people comment on their beauty ...

This picture of the garden in general is for both of our dads in particular since we always get questions from both of you on how it's progressing. I've spent a lot of time weeding this. The tomato plants are starting to overtake everything! The peas lie in the far right corner of this picture, with the carrots right below them and three rows of beans to the side. We planted an early crop of peas and a second planting, the smaller of the four rows in the back. They are bordered by red onions (you can see the green onion shoots in the middle), with some red potatoes in the same row at the bottom. The cucumbers are being buried by the pumkins, cantaloupe and watermelon vines. Four pepper plants are in between the cantaloupe and tomato plants. I think that we have 4 or 5 different kinds of tomatoes too. I also planted a cilantro plant to use for fresh salsa. Can't wait ....



2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of hard work - I hope you get some great salsa from all your efforts. It's always great to work hard and benefit from it in the process. I like the lanterns, too - do they light up or are they just decorative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the lanterns. That is a cool idea. It takes a lot of water to keep a plant alive in a pot altho the geraniums seem to survive pretty well. Your holly hocks look great. Dad thinks they are weeds.

    ReplyDelete