Monday, February 21, 2011

From Red to Blue and Brown

I didn't take any pictures last Thursday. Lots of long phone calls to a few different branches of the government prevented much time for fun. AND it was just not the best day ever, so I decided to take a lot of pictures on Friday and Saturday instead.
For some reason, call it the middle-of-winter-syndrome, stuck-in-the-house-all-day-blues, whatever you want to label it, the creative wheels started rolling in my head during the middle of the week, and I came up with the idea to redo Koria's bedroom.
A couple of years ago, we decided to paint it all a deep red with a faux finish on the top. The pictures don't do it justice, but it turned out really nice.
Then, around May of last year, we decided that it was time to move Koria
and Kimball into separate rooms, so Koria ended up being moved into the red room. We just hadn't gathered up the energy to repaint it all, and didn't want to spend much money to redo it either, so it stayed red, until late Friday night.

I asked Koria what colors she wanted her room to be (with the instruction that at least the accent color be brown because our extra queen bedspread was that color and we weren't going to buy a new one), and she debated for a while between pink/brown, purple/brown, and blue/brown combos, but ultimately, she decided that blue/brown was what she wanted.
She and I headed to town to buy some paint and material for us to create her new room with. I helped her decided on the specific hues and some materials, but she really did most of the chosing herself. When we returned, Jared and Kimball had put the babies to bed and cleared out her room, ready for the painting to begin.
Jared and I worked until late on Friday night, taping and painting. This is what it looked like right before I added the strip of brown to the bottom third of the walls.


Saturday was spent, among the rest of our normal responsibilities, adding more coats of paint, and decorative touches. Jared helped out a lot by watching the kids and sewing the pillows. Mega-man, I'm telling ya. He's mega-man. He even came up with the idea to make matching pillows for Koria's dollhouse out of the scraps leftover from the pillows he made for her bed. Awesome. I'm going to add a few details to them to make them more unique, but they turned out great. That's me, tired from little sleep, no makeup, no hair done ... making some comps of what I was going to do on the walls.


This is the product, thus far. I plan on doing a bit more work to the top section with the mural and hanging up some pictures, but most of the hard work is done.
Koria loves it. I think it's kind of whimsical myself. It's different than I had visioned it in my head, but who cares. As long as she's happy, that's all that matters. She invited Kimball to sleep in her "new room" last night. It's amazing what a little paint can do to change to mood of a room. It was a fun weekend project.



2 comments:

  1. What a great bedroom - you guys are WONDERFUL parents! It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing the talent you have. You could go into interior decorating and do well. If you only had the time HA HA. Is the bottom brown part wallpaper? I can't imagine you doing all of that alone.

    ReplyDelete