Saturday, February 5, 2011

Valentine's Day Boxes

Kimball and Koria's teacher sent home a note for the events of February this last week and part of it included instructions for the parents that we were to make Valentine's boxes for the kids to put their treats and cards in on the big day. Jared took the older set of twins down to Richfield for the morning to meet Jana and her kids at the Home Depot. Every first Saturday in a month, they sponsor free kids projects that can be built quickly and easily. Kimball chose to build a boat, while Koria chose a decorative heart shelf with a hanger. They had a good time with their cousins.
I took advantage of the down time while Luke and Layne were taking their nap. Last night, when we ran into Price to run some errands, I ran into a department store and asked them if they happened to have any empty shoe boxes that they were going to throw away. They were glad to give me a couple. I purchased some pink ribbon at the dollar store, then we headed home. All of the rest of the materials I already had, so for the cost of some ribbon from the dollar store and some modge podge, I made these boxes up for the kids to use.

Here's what the shoe boxes started out looking like ....

And here are the finished products. Koria told me that she wanted one with hearts and flowers that was pink (shocker), and Kimball wanted to do a Scooby-Doo one.

I had taken the pictures this past fall, so I just printed a couple out, then mounted and glued them down. Using our computer, I printed up their names, then did the same with them as I had done with the pictures. Mom gave me a bunch of buttons a couple of years ago so that I could use them to make hairbows with, which I do, but I thought that they'd make a nice touch on the boxes also.

I had Jared pick up some ribbon that would match Scoob's collar at Walmart on his way home from Richfield, and then I designed the dogtag out of some cardboard boxes that I was just about to trash. My favorite part is the back of the tag. I gave it a Kimball twist with his initials.

I painted the inside of Koria's box (which I did second) to match the outside paint job, but on Kimball's I used modge podge to line the inside with decorative paper. I recommend just painting. It'll save you a lot of time and glue. Looks cool though.

The only other thing that I still want to do is to create a list of things that they both love, then mount the lists on the inside of the lid. I'll work on that later on next week.
In other events, the sister missionaries were just moved to our area this past week and their dinner appointment happened to be in Florida tonight (random), so with an hour or so of notice, we threw together a dinner. It's great to have sisters back in our area. We hope they'll get to stay for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. You did a marvelous job on your kids boxes. You are so talented. You kids would have been lucky to get an envelope with your name of it. They are really nice and your kids have reason to be proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look AWESOME!
    You get more amazing every day - all the other kids will be jealous and the parents will be wondering how you do it . . . And you fed the sister missionaries too - is there anything you can't do???

    ReplyDelete