Sunday, January 16, 2011

Alphabet Beads

One of my old roommates used to teach the first grade. She recently put a post on her blog about helping youngsters learn how to read and I thought that I'd try out some of her suggestions. This one was a hit, especially with Koria.

Valerie, my old roommate, suggested that we buy beads with letting on them, then let the kids create their own name necklaces or bracelettes. This gets them excited about finding their own names, spelling, etc. The kids did great, and since Saturday, Koria has made more jewelry items than I care to know about, including a few for some of her friends.

Because it was such a hit, I decided to make one to send to Elise for a gift for her baptism. Yes, I know, we're late. That's just how it goes in this house with gifts. I made Elise's a double-stranded necklace, one with her name, the other strand spelling out CTR multiple times. Koria liked it so much that I promised her that I would do one for her as well, so I finally got to bed last night around 12:00. Jared was up with me, preparing his talk for Sunday, one of four this month. This one was for our ward. Last week it was actually for a Relief Society in another ward, and next week's is for the Priesthood Session of Stake Conference. The week after? Some other ward in the stake. Who said Sundays are a day of rest?

We spent a good part of the day cleaning up the house too, which is such a good feeling. It brings a peace when things are in order, especially before the Sabbath. The kids love to pitch in and help too.

2 comments:

  1. I love the beadwork guys - you did a great job Koria and Kendra. I always think kids like their own name - it is just cool to have your name on something you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lettering is great kids. Now you will soon be able to spell everyones name. Those are cool necklaces and I'm sure Elise will love hers.

    ReplyDelete