Monday, January 3, 2011

December 18-21, 2010

Recovering great after procedures

Flowers from the wedding

Sugar cookies made on Dec. 21st

On December 18, Jared's brother Mike was married to our now new aunt, Katie, in the SLC temple. Between getting up really early and surviving the blowing, drifting snow throughout the day, the wedding itself, pictures to follow, the luncheon, followed by the reception, and another snowy, icy drive over Spanish Fork Canyon, we arrived at home around midnight.
Sunday, December 19th, I taught Sunday school, and Jared spoke in the rest home in our Stake. Right after church let out, I rushed home to pack up again as Layne and I headed back up to SLC through yet another blizzard, made a quick visit to a great friend (Catherine Cook, "Cookche"), then made our way to the University Guest House (U of U) to spend a few hours sleeping before Layne's surgeries on early on the morning of December 20th. All went well ... following a lot of confusion and frustration on the part of me and miscommunication between various departments at the hospital. I guess it was meant to be as I found myself in the family waiting room for surical patients at PCMC, seated next to a woman with whom I shared a very personal and touching conversation. I only know her as Gabe's mom, but we made a special connection that morning.
Toward the beginning of our conversation, she explained that her two sons, ages 9 and 6 were both frequent visitors of the hospital. The 9-year-old has a cancerous brain tumor, not seen in 27 years at the hospital, that is slowly debilitating him. Her other son, Gabe, was having his NG tube (feeding tube) removed that day for the first time since his birth.
"It's nice to be here for something good for a change!" she joked.
I shared with her somewhat about Layne, our life with 2 sets of young twins. Funny thing about it all? We weren't complaining, just sharing. And listening. And hoping. Before we knew it, he son had come back from his procedure and she left to be by his side. She and her family have since been in my thoughts and prayers. The spirit was there. I took some time to read over my next lesson for gospel doctrine before our conversation, which made a positive difference too, but all in all, it was a special experience being there with Gabe's mom. And Layne. Scott posted a reference to Mosiah 3:5-8 on the night of December 19th that I read the night before in our hotel room. Thanks, Scott. It will always hold a particularly meaningful place to me. Refer either to his post for that day, or look up the reference yourself, and you will understand why.
Layne and I made our way back, getting home through another snow-covered trip, around 4:00. I kind ward member who had happened to find out about Layne's latest procedures showed up with dinner at 5:00.
Jared watched the other three as Layne and I were away. He said that he went in to check on the kids after putting them to bed that night, and couldn't find Kimball. He finally found him, asleep next to Koria in her bed. This is a picture of them as he found them that night.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it all Kendra. I'm sorry your kids got sick while they were here. We hope they make a speady recovery. I'll bet you are glad to be in your own home. It always makes things better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have family - brothers, sisters, parents, friends, even "strangers" - to share our lives with. I hope we will all look out for those who need our help and be there for them. I love you all very much!

    Kimball & Koria are lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete