Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hairy Green


The kids planted some Hairy Green (aka grass) at preschool and brought it home on Monday. They didn't have preschool on Tuesday, but they had to give "him" a haircut and make sure that he stays in a sunny place and gets a trim and watering frequently.
I had to keep the kids off of the wet carpet that morning, so I braved driving all five of us into Walmart. I'm proud to say that they all did great, except for Koria. I came up with the term "bawl-a-thon with flair" to describe her actions in the store. You fill in the details.
After returning, I had to put the front room back together again, so K&K got to watch a movie while the babes napped. I noticed that someone had spilled chocolate all over one of the couch covers, so I thought, "Why not make it all clean at once?" I washed, dryed, then put the covers on again. Good thing too, as we had home teachers come for the first time in four years a couple hours after that!
For those of you who have served missions, you will appreciate what I have to say next. The visit with our new home teachers was like a discussion with the family from hell. Koria and Kimball would not listen to anything I said and ran from one part of the house to the next, yelling wildly at the top of their lungs, slamming into the side of the couch and over the arm onto my lap -- repeatedly. Layne had been having a bizarre colic relapse the entire day, so she wasn't too great either. Luke just hung out by me on the couch sucking his thumb. When I physically tried to restrain the older two, it was like watching a scene from an action movie with foreign subtitles: painful to follow and mind-numbing. The home teacher and his wife reassured me that they had kids, and that they had grandchildren, and they tried to convince me that their grandchildren were that loud and crazy too. Whatever. Their faces gave them away. We really were a mind-numbing, painful-to-follow foreign film. A family freak show for the Holdaways to see in person. I hope they come back. It might be another long four years before we have home teachers again...
As they were leaving the door, a friend showed up with sugar cookies for me and the kids. Thank you, Laneea. I ate over half of them. I didn't let the kids have theirs until this morning. I ate one in front of them just to rub in it. (Evil laughter) I should have licked the crumbs off of the plate too, now that I think of it...
Jared got home around nine. I was extremely excited, just too tired to let it show.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it has been that long and now home teachers. Ours are very dedicated and usually come every month. Hope they come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the kids need to practice the home teacher routine - shut up, sit down, and hope they leave soon . . . just kidding1

    ReplyDelete