Monday, March 21, 2011

Magic Treehouse Series

Right before we left for California, Jared checked out the first 5 books in a children's book series titled, "The Magic Treehouse," which is all about a magical treehouse that transports a brother and sister to various time periods according to what book they are reading inside of it. It's pretty fun. We read all of those 5 books on the drive, then Jared checked out the next 6 in the series. There are about 30 in all, we think.
For five-year-olds, Koria and Kimball have amazing reading comprehension skills. They like pictures when they come, but most of the books that we've been reading to them for the past year don't have many. They remember all the details, and talk about the storylines as if they know them by heart. They also have been starting to read since shortly after Christmas, and it's like a whole new world is opening up to them. They enjoy sounding out anything that we come across.
On Saturday, when Luke and Layne took their nap, the older two asked if I would read them the next book in the series. They decided that they both needed to lay down on me while I read. I managed to stay awake. This is a picture of us while we had our reading time together.

2 comments:

  1. What a great Mom. I remember reading to all of you kids. I love books and hope my children do also. Koria and Kimball are way ahead in their comprehension skills than a lot of 5 year olds. It really pays to read to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to stay awake Kendra! I'm glad they like reading so much - good job K&K!

    ReplyDelete